A three-day virtual training on the Universal Periodic Review (UPR)
Following a request from the Government of Seychelles, on 28-30 September 2020, OHCHR Regional Office for Southern Africa in collaboration with UNFPA Regional Office for East and Southern Africa, extended technical support to Seychelles on the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) through a three-day virtual training.
14 participants representing Government Ministries, Seychelles National Human Rights Commission, civil society organisations and the UN partners, attended the training. One key point that emanated from the training was the need to provide additional support to Seychelles with the establishment and strengthening of a NMRF. Representatives of Government Ministries expressed interest to engage with OHCHR ROSA to move this forward. The Government also expressed interest in the NRTD as a tool to facilitate coordination with other stakeholders to implement recommendations from all human rights mechanisms. OHCHR ROSA will further engage with the Government of Seychelles on the NTRD. Seychelles 3rd cycle UPR report is due for submission on 1st February 2021 and OHCHR in collaboration with other partners will continue to provide technical support and guidance with the preparation of the report.
In November/ December 2021, the OHCHR also implemented a five-day virtual induction workshop to members of the Seychelles Human Rights Commission. The workshop focused on the following areas
- Introduction to human rights
- The principles that relate to the status and functioning of National Human Rights Institutions (the “Paris Principles”)
- The role of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) in the promotion and protection of human rights
- Human rights monitoring
- Cooperation with national actors (the Executive, Judiciary, Legislative and civil society)
- Institutional tools and functioning of the NHRI (manual of administrative and financial procedures, complaints handling manual, code of ethics, organigram…)
- The Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI) and its accreditation process – introduction
- International human rights protection mechanisms (Special Procedures, Human Rights Council, UPR, Treaty Bodies) and interaction with NHRIs
The workshop constituted a first step within broader capacity strengthening activities to the SHRC including support with accreditation process.